WINDOWS SERVER TOP SECURITY RECOMMENDATIONSEjovi Great
Nearly all businesses in today’s world rely on a complicated IT architecture with one or more servers. With the majority of jobs now being conducted online and most companies having websites, apps, and other online platforms, it is essential to safeguard the servers that host your infrastructure.
Your servers must be operational for as long as feasible in order to maintain a healthy environment. You’ll need an antivirus to maintain your servers clean and safe in order to ensure this. Today, we’ll be going over the best antivirus software for servers to help you choose the best antivirus for servers that’ll meet your demands!
How to Choose the Best Server Antivirus Software?
If your data is stored on a physical server it needs to be protected with adequate server antivirus. You can buy and install the antivirus software and see how it works, or you can purchase it immediately – however, you should find one with some of the 5 features listed below:
- Direct malware detection – sever antivirus should provide you with quick malware detection and prevention from the threats including trojans, worms, and other viruses.
- Sandboxing – this feature authenticates all the processes running on the server and prevents any malicious entities from penetrating the system and harming your computer. Unrecognized apps or procedures will be automatically sandboxed and run under special restrictions.
- HIPS (Host Intrusion Protection) – this option monitors all the activities of the apps and processes on the server, and it stops any malicious activity that could damage the data, OS, system-memory or registry keys.
- Virtual Desktop – this is a sandboxing environment which allows Internet access and beta-software testing without upsetting the file structure.
- Rescue Disc – rescue disc performs pre-boot antivirus scans, and it can recover passwords, detect and remove the rootkit or allow you to transform the data from the damaged disc to another drive.
1. Avast Business Antivirus Pro Plus
Avast Business Antivirus Pro Plus fits any business size, particularly small and mid-sized companies. It is an intuitive and easy-to-use SaaS platform that includes VPN, file shredder, a sandbox browser, and more. It provides enterprise-grade protection for your server, keeping it safe from intruders and online threats.
- Built-in patch management: Patch management is considered one of Avast’s best improvements since it tells you how many devices need patching.
- Good threat detection capabilities: Avast Business Antivirus Pro Plus provides a detailed threat-related report, including information about which mode is responsible for detecting the threat.
- VPN and File Shredder functions: You can benefit from features such as built-in VPN and Data Shredder, which add an extra layer of security to your server.
- Exchange server protection: Avast server antivirus will scan and filter emails with suspicious attachments and unsafe links to ensure safe internal communication.
- No mobile device management: Avast Business Antivirus Pro Plus is compatible with Windows and Mac desktops but doesn’t support mobile devices.
- Limited reporting: Reporting features don’t include audit logs and other critical components.
4. Kaspersky Endpoint Security Cloud Plus
Kaspersky must be mentioned when it comes to antivirus software – and again, it has to offer an exceptional cloud-based service which will protect your business server from all potential ransomware and zero-day attacks.
Check out the features of Kaspersky Endpoint Security Cloud Plus:
- Patch management – patch management is one of the most important parts of any antivirus – that means that Kaspersky will automatically download and install necessary patches and update the software which prevents the hackers from exploiting malware.
- Ransomware and Exploit prevention – Kaspersky identifies and halts any malware and ransomware which could damage your system or steal your data.
- Mobile protection – this Windows server antivirus offers mobile security as well, and by purchasing the package, you get two mobile licenses per user for free.
- Advanced vulnerability scans: Kaspersky comes with a unique tool that can detect and eliminate the vulnerabilities that exist in your system, making sure you get the right recommendations on how to fix them.
- Not for less than 10 servers – if you run a small business with, for example, 8 employees, you won’t be able to purchase it. You can opt for at least 10 servers coverage, and the price would be $685 per year.
- Weak reporting: Users would like to see improved reporting capabilities that are a must for software that costs as much as Kaspersky.
6. ESET Endpoint Protection Standard
ESET Endpoint Protection Standard is a server antivirus software that’s created specifically for small and medium-sized businesses (SMB). It comes with decent features that include ransomware protection, email scanning, remote management, and more.
- Outstanding remote management features: This ESET’s product comes with Remote Administrator function, which allows you to manage your endpoint, server, and mobile security right from the web browser. It helps you detect all unprotected machines in the network, providing a more secure environment.
- Enhanced intrusion detection options: By providing ultimate network traffic monitoring, ESET will detect any suspicious activity and notify you about it.
- Ultimate ransomware protection: Once enabled, ESET’s LiveGrid will instantly inspect and detect any potential attempt of data theft. LiveGrid uses a worldwide database of suspicious app samples, making sure no threat goes unnoticed.
- Up-to-date reports: To make sure you’re notified about your system’s security, ESET brings the Reporting module, which delivers essential information about the types of threats, modules used, and the actions taken to prevent potential risks that could jeopardize your server security.
- Needs better phishing protection: Some tests have shown that ESET lacks more advanced phishing detection features. That said, it might fail to protect you from fake log-in websites that may abuse your personal data.
- Affects system performance: Many users complained that ESET Endpoint Protection used to slow down their systems, which had a negative impact on their workflow.
7. AVG File Server Business Edition
A server antivirus solution that will keep your critical business data safe from the latest threats, including malware, ransomware, viruses, and phishing, definitely is AVG File Server Business Edition. It provides great value for money, and you can always try it before making a final purchase.
- Professional email security: Hackers often use email to spread their malicious activities, which is why AVG has developed excellent email protection. It comes with an Anti-Spam feature that scans and checks all your emails for potentially malicious content and code, making sure no threat penetrates your system.
- File server security: AVG secures your essential business files that are kept online, ensuring their safety, and round the clock protection. It will prevent any unauthorized attempt to modify or delete your files executed by malware.
- Excellent network protection: AVG File Server Protection will check every website as you’re surfing, paying particular attention to malicious content that might be found on the site. It comes with Wi-Fi Guard that will prevent your device from connecting to false wireless access points set by hackers.
- Financial information security: AVG has proven its efficiency in keeping a user’s financial information safe from online threats aimed at stealing it.
- Lacks Mac support: Despite its seamless performance on Windows, AVG lacks endpoint protection for Mac. Some users do their work on Apple’s machines, which is why they may consider AVG’s competitors to get the right solution.
- Complex user interface: Most AVG users said that they found the UI a bit complex to use.
15. McAfee MVision Cloud
McAfee MVision Cloud is a suitable choice for protecting your devices and cloud infrastructure. Its functions go beyond endpoint protection, providing layered, end-to-end security that lies on a powerful machine learning engine. Its architecture is quite impressive and can address all the different types of malware, ransomware, and online threats.
- Ultimate malware and virus protection: McAfee MVision Cloud ensures you’re 100% safe from malware and ransomware attacks.
- Fast response to threats: This McAfee’s server antivirus responds quickly to external threats, blocking them before they penetrate your system.
- Fantastic reporting capabilities: McAfee continues to provide excellent reporting features, ensuring you get detailed information about your server security.
- Top-notch phishing detection: Recent AV tests have shown that McAfee MVision Cloud successfully catches and blocks phishing attempts.
- Phishing plugin required: You will need a dedicated browser plugin to keep your system safe from phishing, which is not the case with most of McAfee’s competitors.
- Lag time to protection: You won’t be able to enjoy complete protection capabilities as soon as you install the software.
18. Webroot Server Antivirus
Webroot Server Antivirus is a business-grade antivirus with real-time protection. It safeguards all endpoint devices in the contemporary environment, including Windows Server, Virtualization, Citrix, etc. It adds an extra layer of security to your critical infrastructure, ensuring a 100% safe IT environment.
- No reimaging needed: Webroot Server Antivirus uses rollback and journaling features to restore your files to their uninfected state. That way, you don’t need to reimage your PC.
- Online management: This antivirus allows you to manage endpoints anywhere and anytime you have a stable Internet connection.
- No conflict: Webroot antivirus doesn’t require you to uninstall other security software you already have, but it runs alongside them.
- Excellent zero-day attack prevention: Webroot Server Antivirus successfully deals with never-before-seen attacks.
- False positives: Mac users say that Webroot reports many false positives.
- Unreliable tech support: It takes some time for tech support to resolve your problem.